New York

New York

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Week 69

July 19, 2017
Wednesday, Day 482
Day 122 back in NY

Today was pretty fun! We started the day off with laundry as always and in between loads picked up some groceries. When we quickly got done with those things we drove to the Walkway over the Hudson. I guess it's the highest walkway in the world or something. It used to be an old railroad track. But many years ago it caught fire and for many years it sat there. But I guess in the last decade or so they made a walkway out of it and it's open to the public. So we met up as a district and went for a walk over the Hudson River.

When we finished up with our walk Elder Murray and I met up with the Poughkeepsie elders to go bowling at this place called Spins Bowl. We played a game of bowling which was sweet; it only cost $3 for each of us. Then we wanted to go to an indoor trampoline place, when we got there a sign was on the door to tell us that because of a certain kids camp, they aren't open till 6pm. So we left there and found this DC Sports mini golf place and we mini golfed it up! We were all wearing pday clothes but still wearing our tags, and the girl at the cash register was asking about our nametags. I talked to her for a couple minutes about who we are and where we are from and what we are doing. She and her coworkers thought it was really cool.
We headed home after golf, grabbed something to eat, and went home to change and email at the church till the end of pday.
All our appointments fell though this evening. We did a couple look ups and then went to the church for a couple baptism interviews. The sisters have been teaching Sister M’s girls, B and A. And they decided to get baptized, so Elder Murray did the interviews and they are ready for their baptism on Friday.

July 20, 2017
Thursday, Day 483
Day 123 back in NY

After weekly planning…we sent out our Gospel Minute:
Elder Steven E. Snow Of the Presidency of the Seventy
By listening to the prophets, keeping an eternal perspective, having faith, and being of good cheer, we can face life’s unexpected challenges.

Matthew 14:27
​But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good ​​​cheer​; it is I; be not afraid.

The APs called and wanted to know if we could meet up with the Zone Leaders and give them our Book of Mormon board so that the going home missionaries could use it for their last APFs in the mission before they go home. So we met halfway with the Zone Leaders and gave them the board.
We went and visited J for a bit, we planned earlier in the week to help him stack wood. So we came in service clothes and stacked most of the wood he split. After about an hour he asked if we were hungry, we were, so he told us to stop and go out to dinner with him. He took us to a college diner, which was nice; I ordered a monster pork sandwich. It was really good, but it wasn't monster size at all.

We left the diner and went straight over to Brother W's to help him with his rental; we were laying more tile. Before we started he brought pizza for us so we ate pizza and then started tile. We were there for about an hour and a half then needed to head home.

July 21, 2017
Friday, Day 484
Day 124 back in NY

We had a miracle line this morning, president shared some miracles and even called on a few missionaries to share their miracles. He also talked about goals and used a story of mine that I shared with him during an interview I had with him. It was pretty cool to have him share.

We didn't have the Book of Mormon board today but we met up with the sisters at the church first and talked about ideas for APFs. Then we got ready for one and went down on Main St. closer to Water St. we had a poster of Christ and a white board, we wrote on the board “What Mormons Believe in 60 seconds.” We would share a quick minute video about Mormon beliefs.

We then had a few look up and had dinner. Then we went to the church for the baptisms at 6:30. We got there a bit early to help set up. Then everybody, as usual showed up late by half an hour. So we didn't have the baptism till close to 7pm. The baptism was great, there was more food then there were people, lol but that's what you get in our branch.

July 22, 2017
Saturday, Day 485
Day 125 back in NY

Happy birthday to me! Thanks for all the letters, packages, and emails!

We started the day off doing some service at Salvation Army. We went around the clothing racks and took off all the clothes with yellow/pink tags. The sisters were there too and we stayed for 2 hours.

We then met with Brother K and then went back to this neighborhood where we had knocked a few doors before, early on during my first couple weeks in the area. We made contact with this guy named D, we talked about the plan of salvation and he said he would talk to his wife and let us know.
I had a special birthday dinner at Brother H's home. We had some really good ribs! His daughter J made me brownies and they had vanilla ice cream out. It was an awesome little party.

We then had correlation later that evening. We had planned to have it at Brother W's at 7pm. We were running a little late from Brother H's so we called Brother W and he said to meet at the church and so we made our way there. Then the sisters called and said that they were at the W's and so we then turned around and were heading to the W's. Brother W then called and told us that we will meet at his house… #communication lol

We found out transfers tonight, Elder Murray is going to West Point as a Zone leader. And I will stay, I'll receive Elder Wallace and I will be district leader. .

July 23, 2017
Sunday, Day 486
Day 126 back in NY

Woke up exhausted, I didn't really sleep much. Church was great! Gospel principles was taught in Spanish again which is fun for us! Unfortunately none of our investigators showed up. So Brother W taught gospel principles in Spanish for his in-laws.

Then later in the day I started to feel the worst. We went and stopped by a lot of people that Elder Murray wanted pictures with before he left.

Around 7:30 we met up with Brother W. He wanted us to meet a friend of his. So we drove over with him and met up at his friend’s house, Brother W taught the Plan of Salvation and we testified of it and also taught part of the restoration as questions were asked. It was really cool we got 2 new investigators tonight!

July 24, 2017
Monday, Day 487
Day 127 back in NY

Last night I didn't sleep at all and I was sweating all night…. It wasn't fun. We had district meeting. The Zone surprised me with cupcakes and sang happy birthday to me after our meeting. Then went over to grandma W's home. Took a picture with her and signed her guestbook. Then we met up with President and Sister C for ice cream.

Then for dinner we went to the C’s, a family from Honduras. They made us tacos and Bailiads. They were way good!

The W's also came and had dinner with us. Afterward I was feeling like trash... so I asked Brother W and Elder Murray to give me a blessing, we drove over to Brother W's office after dinner and they gave me a blessing there. Then we went to Sister P's for pictures and to help her with what we thought was a small project, she told us earlier it was just moving a dining room table. It turned out to be a U-HAUL full of furniture. I was feeling like death... I had lost 7 lbs already from not having an appetite and going to he bathroom so often. I ended up lying under a tree watching Elder Murray and J move furniture. 

Then we went home. I drank some NyQuil and went to bed…

July 25, 2017
Tuesday, Day 488
Day 128 back in NY

Transfer day! I woke up twice every hour until 3am, and then didn't wake up till 8am. Then I got ready and Elder Murray finished packing his bags. We drove to Ossining and Elder Murray got his new companion and they left and I waited around a few hours with Elder Busby and few other Elders. President Smith showed up and we had a discussion, all of us. We talked about questions we had to improve the areas we are in. We talked about working with Ward/ branch members.

Then he U-HAUL showed up with the luggage from NYC and the missionaries from down there. Elder Wallace and I then drove home and dropped off his luggage, then went to an appointment. We met with a referral we recently received and taught him about the Book of Mormon.

Then we went to the church to try and set up his new area Book. That didn't work then we came home. I felt like trash still, so I got ready and went to bed. I'm feeling the slightest bit better today then yesterday, but still trashy.

Patience. Love. Faith
Much love,

Elder Newbold

No comments:

Post a Comment