New York

New York

Monday, February 8, 2016

Week 16


January 25, 2016
Monday, Day 104
Day 91 in NY

It's been crazy having to work the Spanish and English area. We do our best to split up our work so that both areas are progressing but it's tough. "I didn't say it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it." Working in the Spanish program has been fun. At times very stressful, but it all works out.

ESPAÑOL Y INGLES
We try our best to plan our days out where we go to a few appointments and teach in Spanish and then we have a few appointments in English. Sounds simple, but when you plan to see people sometimes they aren't home or available. So when that happens we have to figure out what we need to do next, who else lives around the area? Who else can we see to fill this time in before our next appointment.

January 26, 2016
Tuesday, Day 105
Day 92 in NY

PLANNING FOR RICKY
I LOVE UNCLE RICKY! Haha he is always so fun to visit! Planning for him is a bit tricky, we try to pack our days with people to see and teach. There's a lot of people we visit who sometimes we didn't necessarily expect to see and they happen to be the ones who talk a lot. So planning for Ricky, we have to just put him in at the end of the night where we don't have an appointment, because Ricky is one of those people who love to talk, which Is great! With him there's always a lesson taught, even tho he talks, we can get him to talk a lot about the gospel. Unlike a lot of other people, they love to talk but you can't always talk about the gospel so easily.

January 27, 2016
Wednesday, Day 106
Day 93 in NY

PDAY!
Went and did laundry this morning, did our grocery shopping, came home and put away clothes and groceries. Then I started responding to emails, well I respond to them but save them as drafts instead of sending them right away... Which I think I'm going to stop doing. Because I responded to 40 emails.. Saved them as drafts... Then we went to the church to play gator ball. We went to the church, but I was trying to develop self control for my addiction to the game, so while they all played gator ball, I sat and wrote my journal email!

POR QUE!
So I'm writing my journal email and a missionary, who decided to check his email, realized that he had been logged out automatically... Which was weird, when he finally got back on, his emails were all
gone... Then, another missionary did the same... And again with another and another... So I'm now freaking out, cause I'm writing my journal and everyone's emails were gone... So I got on mine to check... And the same had happened to me... Somehow everyone had been logged out of their email!! Luckily one of the missionaries knew what was going on or at least knew how to fix it.. So he got on his iPad and was able to re-add his email account and log back in, then all his emails appeared.
So we all gathered around and followed the same steps. IT WORKED! I got emails back and my account re-added.... But wait, where are my draft emails?! Oh yea all 40 were deleted in the process.. So here goes another week of working on emails! (Don't get me wrong I love all your emails! Keep sending them.)

TRAIN RIDES:
They are like walking through a haunted house. You have all these ideas of things that could happen, you just don't know exactly what's going to happen..

{So before we left the apartment to go to the church I had purposely left my jacket inside because I was super hot.. (Just cause there's snow outside, doesn't mean it's cold). So I left the apartment wearing a short sleeve shirt and my ADIDAS (All Day I Dream About Serving) pants.}

Now back to the story.

We are on the train heading back to the apartment to get ready for our appointments. It's now about 6:00 PM. The suns is down and the moon is out but I'm still just as warm as I was when I left the apartment at 3:00 PM. I'm on the train holding a box of bibles that I grabbed from the church. My companions and everyone else on the train were all wearing jackets. And of course I'm the only one wearing a short sleeve shirt. Well this guy gets on at one of the stops and starts walking down the aisle of the train cart. (He was walking with a cane and was wearing LAYERS of jackets). (It feels like it's about 60°, to me that's the perfect temperature). He walks by and immediately notices that I'm not wearing a jacket. He stopped right in front of me and said "can I ask you a question?" So of course I'm thinking "sweet! He's going to ask something about the gospel!" Naaa, he says " where's your jacket? You have a jacket right?" Yes I have a jacket, it's at home. He says "I know your cold, can I give you something?" Haha! I'm thinking, you have no idea who I am do you? I'm Elder Tyler Aramis Newbold, I don't get cold. So I told him, I promise I'm not cold. I'd have a jacket on if I were. He insisted that I take the jacket that he just took off of himself. Now, as nice as that was for him to give me a jacket... He was
homeless and smelt like marijuana...

NATION FAMILY:
Alright this was just absolutely great! Haha we had gone over to visit a investigating family. I'm still with the Spanish Elders, so we get to their apartment and they let us in. And for 5 minutes straight all
they could talk about was how much they loved and miss Elder Tabor. Haha it was so funny! Elder Guerra and Elder Hilton kept looks at me like holy cow, we need to get Elder Tabor back haha. So we shared a quick message with them and as we left Elder Hilton said to me, "wow, they really like Elder Tabor." No really? I hadn't noticed Elder Hilton haha.

January 28, 2016
Thursday, Day 107
Day 94 in NY

After weekly planning we went over to an appointment that the Elders had planned. We were invited in and her son who is 2 years old starts pulling his shirt down to show us his nipples, (the Elder say he does it every time they come over) haha so we kept on with the lesson lol. Then he took his shirt off and started laughing, his mom then grabbed him and took him into the other room. When she came back into the room we continued. Not too long after we continued, in came 2 year old Dillon, butt naked! Dancing in front of us. It was hilarious! The things that happen in NY!

January 29, 2016
Friday, Day 108
Day 95 in NY

Time flew by SOOO fast! I can't believe it's been 16 days in the Spanish program. I can understand more than I can speak but it's so cool, I've said personal prayers in Spanish a few times. It's sad to
see it come to an end!

January 30, 2016
Saturday, Day 109
Day 96 in NY

WML:
After our studies we went to the church and had ward correlation. We met with the Spanish missionaries. So we had a 2 hour meeting in complete Spanish...lol and I didn't know what was going on at all. So that was fun!

REFERRALS:
Later in the night before we went home we looked up some referrals, we found the address to this guy and so I knocked on the door, knocked on the window, the lights were off so it didn't look like anyone was home. Elder Guerra said try upstairs, so we went up the apartment above and knocked on the door, the man came to the window and tried talking to me, but I could hear him so I yelled for him to just open the door. So he came to the door and he said can I help you, I asked him if he was Theobald, he responded yes, I told him we were missionaries and that we were here to deliver whatever it was he
ordered on the Mormon.org website, he said a book or a bible, I wasn't quite sure, so I said "oh a Book of Mormon?" He said yea, but I knew he ordered a bible haha so I gave him the Book of Mormon and asked if he had a minute for me to share with him what the Book of Mormon is. He had family over so we set a date to come back.

January 31, 2016
Sunday, Day 110
Day 97 in NY

5 A.M
Woke up at 5 because we had a stake conference meeting. Super lame that we had to get up so early, we should have conferences after church, not before, but whatever. So we listened to the speakers and it was a cool conference one of the Bishops talked and he was loud and bold and active with moments lol. Interesting enough, he was white. Haha awesome bishop.

February 1, 2016
Monday, Day 111
Day 98 in NY

Last full day with the Spanish Elders! I really don't remember what we did this day... We had some Spanish appointments and what not.. We had district meeting. Had lunch. Oh!! I was so mad! I left my Dr Pepper at an appointment, I think it was a members home... But oh well...

February 2, 2016
Tuesday, Day 112
Day 99 in NY

DAY OF THE YEAR:
Woke up this morning and packed all my stuff from the Spanish elders apartment... Then went over to my old apartment and dropped off all my stuff and left. We really quickly went over to a lady's house to give her a blessing. On the way to the blessing we were walking across the cross walk, and this guy from a big van yells "hey!" So I turn around and he says "can I get one of your bibles?!" So I quickly walk up to the van and reach into my bag grabbed a Book of Mormon and out a pass along card with
our number on it and handed it to him. He said "Thank you so much! I can't wait to read it when I'm not driving!" We were in a hurry to the blessing and standing in the middle of the street so we didn't have
much time to say anything but he said he'd read it so that was really cool! After the blessing, we got on a train and headed over to Kingsbridge, to the Kingsbridge chapel. President Smith had asked me to meet him there, because he was having a zone meeting with the Kingsbridge zone. When we got there it was about 2:50, we walked into the church and into the room where they had just ended their meeting. They wanted a group picture so President Smith (knowing that I was a photographer) told one of the missionaries to get me a camera to take their picture, haha standing in the group ready for the picture President said "Smile, Elder Newbold knows what he's doing, he's been behind a camera
a couple times" After the picture, I said goodbye to the Spanish Elders and took off with President. I was Presidents companion for the day. We went out to his car and drove Sister Smith (His wife) and her "companion" another sister who was getting her new companion today, over to Elder Gardner's office to pick up the Sister missionaries car. Then President Smith and I drove over to the Mission home. Where his son William and daughter Lauren were. We hung out at the house for a little bit. William, who's in 6th grade, made me some mac n cheese haha, it was awesome! I got to talk to their family and President for a while. It was super cool! Then I did their dishes haha. When the time came, we took off all together and went to the Airport.

This was such a cool experience! When I got to NY I wasn't expecting really anything, I didn't know what would be going on, I thought I'd get off the plane grab my stuff and some how magically be found by the mission president. But as you come off the plane and enter the baggage claim the mission president and his family are standing right there.

It was so cool standing there with president and his family waiting for the missionaries to come off the plane. So we stood there anxiously waiting, and after about 6 minutes of waiting, here comes Elder Davis! This super cool Elder from Houston Texas! President automatically gets first dibs to greet the missionary's, lol. So I stood back a little and when he was done he turned towards me and I embraced Elder Davis as President introduced me. Right after all the excitement, President Smith took us to The
Cheescake Factory for Dinner! Yea! Super dope right?! In the car ride there, Elder Davis had mentioned to President, that he called his family at the airport, but no one answered. So he called his Stake president back home and told him to tell his family to answer their phones. Well he didn't get the chance to talk to them.

So President Smith right then and there called his step mom, "Hey it's President Smith, the mission President from New York" she replied! "Oh hey President!" President said " Guess who I have with me right now?" (She replied with excitement that only a mother would know, but a son would recognize) "MY BOY!! Let me talk to him!" So President took the phone off the car audio and let Elder Davis speak to his mom. It was the sweetest experience! So awesome! Today couldn't get better, but we went to The Cheesecake Factory and had dinner. Today was absolutely amazing!! Can't wait to spend the next few months with Elder Davis!


Love you all so much! Till next week!

Patience. Love. Faith

Much love,
Elder Newbold

Always thinking like my Mom! She loves Circus Peanuts and being organized!!
Josh, it's lechuga!!
(Elder Newbold with his trio in the Spanish mission)


No comments:

Post a Comment